How often in our modern world do we feel scattered, unable to find clarity or certainly in our life? Perhaps there is nothing particularly traumatic or stressful in our immediate circumstances, we just feel unsettled and unsure of which direction to take. This, in itself, can create stress.
The grounding breath will help bring steadiness to your mind, giving you greater clarity and certainty. If you practice the grounding breath regularly, you may begin to find stresses of yesterday no longer hassling you today.
1. Sit comfortably, with your spine upright. If you are sitting in a chair, keep your legs parallel; feet flat on the floor or on a rolled up mat.
2. Close your eyes and for a few breaths, become very interested in your breath as it comes in and out of your body.
3. Follow the passage of your breath with your awareness, moving inwards down to your lungs and outwards back up and out. After you become comfortable with this moving flow of awareness, extend it right through your body:
4. As you breathe in, take your awareness all the way down through your body to the ground beneath you. And as you breathe out, bring your awareness back up through your body. Try not to change your breathing in any way, just allow your awareness to move up and down through your body as your breath comes in and out.
At the end of the next in-breath, allow your awareness to rest on the ground for a moment before returning through the body.
5. Repeat this a few more times, until you feel a calm steadiness wash all over you.
Invite your awareness to rise through the body for the last time and become aware of your body in contact with your clothes in your sitting position, allow your breath to return to normal and begin to notice the sounds in the room.
When you have completed the grounding breath, sit for a few moments and notice how much calmer your mind and body feel. Imagine how you might feel if you practice this simple breathing exercise every day.
Remember, if you are feeling a bit scattered, ground yourself with your breath!
There’s so much more…
Our online Dru Meditation course makes meditation easy, even if your mind won’t stop!