Secret number two – express gratitude for the miracle of your life!
Once you’ve got the Light Shower technique under your belt (from secret no1) – this next stage takes us deeper into how you start your day in the most powerful way. This shouldn’t necessarily add more time to what you do, but it can make it exponentially more potent!
Sometimes we find it so easy to bypass the simple miracle of life. We’re so caught up in work, family, finances, concerns and worries – that we forget the simple pleasures and beauty around us. Have a read through this list and allow a sense of gratitude, love and joy to fill you – I challenge you not to feel warm and fuzzy!
- Bird song on a crisp spring morning
- The glory of autumn colours
- The luminescent green leaves of spring
- The sound of a babbling stream
- The joyful laughter of a child
- The embracing hug of a dear friend
You’ll find that much of the power of this technique comes directly from your gratitude and appreciation for the miracle that is your life, so as we go through, try to ‘feel’ as much as possible.
1. Start as before with the Light Shower Technique, by allowing light to bathe your body. As it does, start to become even more aware of all the areas of the body the light is touching. The head and face, shoulders and arms, down into the torso and hips and down through the legs to the feet.
2. As the light touches you – inside and out – allow a deep sense of appreciation and gratitude to flow through you. Thank this incredible body we live in. Enjoy the warmth of self-love as you focus also on the internal organs, the lungs, the breath, the muscles and the brain.
3. Allow your gratitude and appreciation to flow into the space around you. Have gratitude that you have a safe, warm place to live in, that you have clothes and food.
4. Have gratitude for the people in your life. Each person has a message – has a gift, they can share with us. Allow yourself to be open to receiving that gift.
5. Finally expand your awareness out further into the space around where you live. If you are a visual person you could image yourself lifting higher and higher into the air, gradually becoming aware of the magnificence of the earth; a bright blue shining jewel, suspended in space. Now, see if you can enfold the earth, its diverse peoples, cultures, flora and fauna with your gratitude, love and appreciation. You can imagine light, or feel a wave of warmth spreading outward from you.
6. When you feel ready, allow your breath to become deeper, bringing your awareness inward once again. Focus on the coolness of the incoming breath and the warmth of the outgoing breath. Gently become aware of your body once again, and, keeping that sense of gratitude, start your day.
This technique is deceptively simple… don’t let that fool you into thinking that it isn’t effective of powerful – you should find with practice that this “Attitude of Gratitude” can have a profound and powerful effect on your life.
Gratitude is a very powerful secret because it actually puts you in charge of yourself and your life. You can now make a conscious choice as to how you perceive and respond to the situations you find yourself in – and choose to see everything that comes as a gift or ‘learning’, that will help you to grow and change. This means you are now responsible for your life and your emotions!
Gradually, you’ll be able to perceive this sense of gratitude permeating throughout your life – you’ll feel it when you meet an old friend, or go for a walk, or even just looking out at the clouds through the office window!
We hope that you’ve enjoyed the second of the 5 Top Secrets to Successful Living. We’ll be posting the other 3 secrets at our Dru Online blog so keep posted! If you’ve enjoyed this technique you may enjoy attending one of our yoga or meditation retreats in North Wales, or even joining our Online Meditation Course.